Monday, August 08, 2011

SHASTA SUMMIT CENTURY PHOTOS

More words and pics to follow in coming days ... The updated post is here.
About two-thirds of the way up the Everitt Memorial Highway climb to the foot of Mount Shasta. It's the last climb of four, 14 miles long with 4,100 feet of elevation gain. 
  
Me, relieved to have finally reached the top of that last climb (7,800 feet). In all, I rode 130 miles with 14,750 feet of climbing. Toughest thing I've ever done.

Some incredible (he wrote facetiously) over-the-shoulder photography whilst riding.

More incredible photography whilst riding. Seattle's Mark Clausen and I make our way up the first climb (Parks Creek Summit; 3,800 feet in 13 miles). This is before things got crazy hot.
Me, at the 100-mile mark, when after climbing 10,000 feet despite feeling ickily nauseous for hours--the heat just killed me--I was pretty darn sure my day was done. For a contrast, see above pic taken 15 miles later, and 4,700 feet higher up Mount Shasta.

More from the road to Mount Shasta. It's got to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited!


No comments:

Post a Comment