Monday, March 08, 2010

CAN'T QUITE BRING MYSELF TO RACE ... YET

Well, I had grand plans to race a few of the BuDu mountain bike races and though the weather's been really good, my grand plans so far have come to nothing. Already I've missed two races including one yesterday. 
Not that I've not been riding: Saturday, we did what I've come to call the Dictionary-Pine and Cedar-Long Around route. About 30 miles with 3,500 feet of climbing including the killer long steep one up the back side to Pine and Cedar--just an all around nasty and inappropriate climb followed almost immediately by my favorite descent around here, the Hemlock Trail. (It was Mellow Johnny Clark, the Titanium Cowboy Scott Young and Doctor Professor Steve Vanderstaay.) Then Sunday (single-speed Sunday) was Der Mullet, Der Three Pigs, Der etc., so I'm getting in the bike time, that's for sure.
I guess it's just hard to justify a two-hour drive for a 50-minute race that starts at noon followed by a two-hour drive home, which is what most of the BuDu races would require of us Bellinghamsters. So much easier and more pleasant to roll out of bed at 7:30 a.m., be riding at 8 with the Team Unattacked squad, and back home with the family by 11-11:30-ish. (Though it looks like the March 28 race in Coupeville starts at 10 a.m. so that's a possibility.) More likely I'll wait for the Indie Series races starting in May; I think their Sport/Single-Speed races start at 10:30 a.m., not quite the all-day killer that a noon start is.
Also on my radar, sorta kinda, is the High Cascades 100 mountain bike race in August down in Bend, Ore. Though I have no aptitude for the ultra-long stuff, I do feel the need to do at least one 100-mile race in my life. And I've always wanted to see Bend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment