Thursday, July 29, 2010

THREE MONTHS SINCE COLLARBONE SURGERY

Well, today was the day that three months ago I couldn't wait for--my three-month post-surgery check-up. Truth be told, it was fairly anticlimactic. But I think that's a good thing. I've been pretty much back to my normal activities, or maybe 90 percent of normal, for about a month now.

The collarbone was x-rayed,  Dr. Bergman said it looked good and that while it can take six months or a year before the collarbone is completely healed (the x-ray still shows a slight fracture line on the collarbone), I've got a titanium plate holding everything in place so I'm good to go. Just don't fall on it, he said. Which is pretty much common sense, innit? It's not like I'm going to go out and purposely fall on my good collarbone for fun just 'cause it's never been broken.

Hopefully, the plate will not bother me down the road and I'll just leave it in there for the rest of my life. That's an option, I guess. Having more surgery to take it out. One of the nine screws does stick out a little but I find it amusing. Kind of like the bolts on Frankenstein's neck. Hopefully, I've turned the final page on this collarbone chapter.
Oh yeah, I've got a story in today's Seattle Times about Jetty Island, this cool little oasis near Everett. See it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment