Tuesday, August 12, 2008

FAIR DAYS OF AUGUST

Northwest Washington Fair last week. Lotsa heat, lotsa sun, lotsa Bake spinning 'round and 'round on the Sizzler. Kid next to him looks like she's holding on for dear life. Or trying to get comfortable so she can take a nap; one of the two.

Rode from Glacier to Artist Point Saturday during what passes for a heat wave here--temps in the 80s! Didn't hear from John or Scott so I headed up on my own. First time riding a big mountain since the Cayuse crack at RAMROD a few weeks ago. Felt good to get this one under my belt. Met a guy named Bob from Edmonds. (That's him below.) He was on his annual birthday ride wherein he rides twice as many miles as his age. He was doing 110 that day. From Maple Falls (I gather) to Artist Point, back to Bellingham and then Lummi Island. Kind of a cool idea. I didn't talk to him that long but he said he'd ridden the Alps, the Pyrenees, Alpe D'Huez, etc. Said he didn't do RAMROD this year b/c he was riding in Colorado and he's not doing the Mount Baker Hill Climb because he'll be in Japan. So I think he's some sort of captian of industry who spends his disposable income in the same way I would were I to have some.

2 comments:

  1. Mike, it was a great ride. I hit my target (111 miles). The downhill from Artists point was a spectacular run. The flat portion coming into Bellingham at 85+ degrees with the cars, trucks, and buses wasn’t so great; but finishing on Lummi was a treat (I needed to do 2 and a half laps around the northern part of the island to reach my goal).

    Next year, August 16 – 112 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hurt yourself, Dad.

    ReplyDelete